Do you like to dress your dog in cute outfits to click a picture or two? Do you want to see how cute your puppy looks in a fancy outfit?
Making a cute outfit for a dog is not as difficult as you may think it is. All you need are a few tools, and you are good to go.
Read on to learn how to make a dress for your dog.
How To Make A Dress For A Dog
Here is a guide on how to stick a simple dress for your dog for an adorable look. First, you need to collect the following materials and tools before you start working on stitching the dress.
Materials And Tools
- Dog dress skirt pattern
- Dog dress bodice pattern
- ½ yard soft cotton patterned fabric (this can vary according to your dog’s size)
- 1/2-yard lightweight standard interfacing
- 4” to 5” strip of 1” wide white sewable Velcro
- Measuring tape
- fabric shears
- buttons, bows, or appliques for decorating the dress
Step By Step Instructions To Follow
Once you’ve gathered all the materials and tools you need, it’s time to start stitching. Here are the steps you need to follow to make a cute dress for your dog.
- Step 1: Measure your dog and resize the pattern
This step involves adjusting your pattern according to your dog’s size. Generally, patterns are made to fit smaller dogs with a chest size of about 12-14 inches.
If your dog’s chest size is larger, you can take the pattern to a print shop to get it on large-sized paper.
Next, download the images to your computer and edit them using graphics editing software. Resize the patterns to the actual size you want.
- Step 2: Cut the fabric
Cut two fabric pieces on the fold for the skirt pattern. Cut another two fabric pieces on the fold for the bodice pattern. Ensure the bodice pieces are two inches larger than the dog’s chest.
- Step 3: Sew the bodice pieces
Place the two bodice pieces right sides together with interfacing on the bottom. Sew along the lines using a 1/2” seam. You should not sew the bottom edge where there are no lines. Leave it open to be able to turn the bodice right-side-out to attach the skirt.
- Step 4: Clip the corners
Once the bodice is sewn together, clip each corner where the neck and the waist meet. It is to ensure that the seam will lay flat once you complete stitching.
- Step 5: Turn the bodice right-side-out
Turn the bodice right-side-out so that the corners are square. You can use a blunt pointed object such as a chopstick to get this right.
- Step 6: Sew the skirt
Place the two skirt pieces right sides together. Sew along the given lines. Don’t sew the top edge where there are no lines; this is the gathering line.
- Step 7: Hem the skirt
There is a hemline and a gathering line on the skirt. Hem the skirt first along the dotted line using a 1/2-inch seam.
- Step 8: Clip along the bottom edge of the skirt
Use a pair of scissors to clip along the bottom edge of the skirt every 1/2 inch before turning it right-side-out.
- Step 9: Gather
Sew the gathering line, ensuring not to gather the last inch on both sides. Gather it enough, so it fits into the bodice.
- Step 10: Attach the bodice to the skirt
Attach the bodice to the skirt. Pin the gathered skirt between and sew in place. It will hide the seams on the inside of the dress.
- Step 11: Decorate as you wish
You can embellish the dress with bows, buttons, or appliques. A good idea is to topstitch the dress once it’s done. It gives the dress a complete look.
- Step 12: Everyone Needs Closure
Attach two 2-1/2” pieces of Velcro by sewing them onto the waist and neckpieces.
Different Types Of Customized Clothing For Dogs
There are so many different types of clothing that you can make for your dog. Exploring how various styles look on your dog can be delightful.
Customized clothes are great when taking your dog out for walks in different weather conditions.
You can also use them when training your dog outdoors. Refer to https://www.ipetguides.com/best-online-dog-training-courses/ to get an idea on what you should know about dog training.
Here are a few options that you can try. Making these outfits for your dog can be a lot of fun. You can also create an amazing wardrobe for your loving dog.
You can use baby onesies to make cute clothes for your dog.
- Take a baby onesie that fits your dog.
- Mark a hole for your dog’s tail and its crotch so that it can go potty while wearing its clothes.
- Cut out the holes where you have marked them and put the onesie on your dog.
Here is a guide on baby one sizes if you’re unsure which one to use on your dog.
- Newborn: can fit up to a 7 lb dog
- 3 months: can fit 7-12 lb dog
- 3-6 months: can fit 12-16 lb dog
- 9-12 months: can fit 17-22 lb dog
If the onesie you choose is a little big for your dog, mark the loose portions. Take your dog out of the onesie, and cut off the excess fabric. Next, sew the sides of the onesie back together.
This no-sew jacket is an easy one that you can make using a fleece shirt/ jacket.
- Measure your dog’s back measurement to determine the length of the sweater.
- Cut the sleeve off the fleece jacket.
- Measure the distance to your dog’s front legs
- Label the points for your dog’s arm holes using a pen or marker and cut around the marked points. The holes should be large enough for your dog’s paws to fit through.
- To make the jacket collar, roll the cuff of the sleeve.
All you need are a t-shirt and a pair of scissors to make this t-shirt for your dog.
- Cut downwards from the sweater’s shoulder to remove the sleeve.
- Measure the distance between your dog’s neck and tail and mark it on the sleeve.
- Cut a hole big enough for your dog’s head to fit through.
- Draw a semi-circle on either sleeve and cut them for the arm holes.
- Draw a U-shape at the bottom part of the sleeve to leave an opening for your dog to be able to go potty.
- Fold over the neck of the t-shirt to create a chic collar.
- Design and decorate the t-shirt as you wish. You can even personalize it with your dog’s name.
Let your dog have a raincoat that it can wear on rainy days.
- Get a reusable bag made of waterproof material. Vinyl or nylon are excellent choices.
- Use a seam ripper to disassemble the bag with a seam ripper.
- Print out a free dog coat pattern. You can get a pattern by searching the net.
- Trace the pattern on the bag and cut it out.
- Sew a 1/4-inch seam around the main piece of the coat.
- Hem the belly band and attach Velcro tape to it.
- Next, sew Velcro tape to the side directly across from the belly band. It will secure the jacket when it’s on your dog.
A tutu will look adorable on your puppy. Here’s how you can make one for your furry friend.
- Things you need are a tulle, an elastic band, and a ribbon.
- Cut a 3⁄4 inch wide elastic band. It should be the same length as your dog’s waist.
- Connect the ends of the elastic bend with a safety pin.
- Cut out 2–3 inch strips in your tulle.
- Attach a ribbon to the elastic band using hot glue.
- Fold your strips of tulle in half and drape them over the elastic band.
- Tie the strips of tulle to the elastic band and repeat until the band is covered with strips of tulle.
- Fold the strips of tulle in half to add volume to the tutu.
There are so many other clothes and accessories that you can make for your dog, including jeans, a bow tie, a sweater, a scarf, a cooling towel, and a fancy costume.
Making a dress for a dog is a simple and fun thing to do. You only need a few things to make a beautiful personalized piece of clothing for your dog.
Apart from a simple dress, you can also make a lot of other clothes for your furry friend. These include t-shirts, jackets, raincoats, onesies, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will A Baby Onesie Fit A Dog?
Newborn onesies will fit a dog of under 7 lb. You can use onesies up to 9-12 months to fit even dogs weighing up to 22 lb.
Can You Make Dog Clothes Without Sewing?
You can make t-shirts and jackets for your dog without the need to sew fabric together.