Today I made my first Keto Frittata and I couldn’t be happier with the results! I’m on day 3 and, even though it’s early, I feel really great about this lifestyle change. Not only am I eating better than I have in ages, but I’m feeling better already too!
Before I started Keto I did a bit of research, asked a lot of questions, and was extra careful on my first grocery shopping trip. In fact, I may have been a little TOO careful. I put back a lot of stuff because they seemed to have a lot of fat. I didn’t realize the fats I was looking at were good fats and that’s a big part of the Ketogenic diet.
Instead of going back to the store, I decided I was going to work with what I already had. Once I purged the cabinets and fridge of any non-Keto friendly ingredients there was nothing processed or iffy left behind. I even passed on my sugars and flours so I wouldn’t be tempted to use them. I am 110% committed and realized that the only way I would succeed was to get rid of the temptations.
So… yesterday I put a chuck roast in the slow cooker on top of some butter and onions, then topped the beef with bacon grease. I felt a little dirty doing that but apparently, it’s perfectly acceptable to do this when you’re living the Keto lifestyle! I had a lot of beef leftover so I decided to use some of it in a frittata for today’s lunch and dinner.
I decided to use Kale and Feta cheese along with the beef for my frittata. I was skeptical, but the ingredients actually worked really well together. Even my grandmother loved it and wanted seconds and she’s not even doing this thing called Keto!
I’m not sure how long exactly this will keep, but I’m sure it’s good for at least 3 days in the refrigerator. I’m not sure it’ll last that long though, especially with my grandmother eating it too!
- 5 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh kale
- 1 1/2 cups cooked beef, cubed or shredded (I used chuck roast)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a baking dish or individual ramekins.
- Melt the butter in a medium to large frying pan. Add onion and cook until translucent (about 2 minutes on medium-high heat). Add the kale and garlic and stir until wilted (about 4 minutes on medium-high heat). Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and heavy whipping cream together in a medium bowl and pour into the baking dish or ramekins.
- Add the kale, beef, and feta cheese on top and place on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until the mixture is set in the middle and golden brown on top.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 327Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 205mgSodium 285mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 22g