Cricut Faux Leather Necklace DIY
You guys, I’m so excited to share my first handmade jewelry craft. I wanted something that was quick and easy but didn’t look quick and easy. I’m still incredibly inspired by Valentine’s Day so I decided to go with this XoXo faux leather necklace. It took less than 2 minutes to cut with the Cricut Maker and less than 15 minutes to assemble the entire thing. I think it turned out great, how about you?
How to Cut Cricut Faux Leather
Cricut Faux Leather is easy to cut with the Cricut Maker. You don’t even need to switch the blades if you’re already using the Premium Fine-Point Blade. With genuine leather, you need to use the Deep-Point Blade which is just one of the reasons prefer faux leather. Another reason? Cricut Faux Leather is incredibly affordable meaning you can do even more Cricut DIY projects!
To cut Cricut Faux Leather with the Maker you need to place the faux leather on the standard grip mat, shiny side down and turn mirror on.
Making the Cricut DIY Faux Leather XOXO Necklace
With just a few supplies and steps, you can easily make this DIY Cricut Faux Leather necklace. It will be a cute handmade Valentine’s Day gift for that special someone or keep it for yourself. I’ve made several so far and am enjoying adoring them with different charms and sharing with friends and family.
I think my favorite charms have to be the tiny seashells. Coming from a coastal area, seashells and anything marine related is popular. What kinds of charms do you prefer for DIY jewelry?
Faux Leather XOXO Necklace
This quick and easy DIY will make a great gift or addition to your own jewelry collection.
- 1 sheet faux leather (I used peacock)
- Standard Grip mat (the green one)
- 1 necklace (or chain to make a necklace)
- 5 jump rings (or 4 jump rings and 1 head pin)
- 1 charm
- Cricut Maker
- Hot glue gun + glue sticks (optional)
- Jump ring opener
- Open the Design Space file (click here) and click Make It (or customize to resize). By default, two sets of XOXO will cut. This is meant for adding thickness to the necklace and the pieces will be glued together (they're mirrored so they align perfectly). If you only want the thin necklace then you can click the eyeball to the right of the reversed image to hide it.
- Place the faux leather on the cutting mat, color or shiny side down. Follow the on-screen directions to cut the design.
- Carefully remove the cut pieces from the mat. If you're using both groups this is where you'll glue them together. Using a hot glue gun, add small dots of glue around the back of one of the groups. Use tweezers to lay the other group on top, color side UP (both outer sides should have color). Allow the glue to dry and continue to the next step.
- Use an awl to punch holes for the jump rings as shown in the image below. Add another jump ring (not pictured) either to the top right of the first O or to the second line of the second X.
- Connect the jump rings to the necklace chain and use the pliers to close them.
- Using a larger jump ring or a head pin (depending on the type of charm you're using), add a charm to the bottom of the necklace, location doesn't matter. This is optional, but it adds some weight to help the XOXO lay flat, and it looks cute too!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow, this is so beautiful! This is so fun! The color is great. Cricut is so popular nowadays and such a great opportunity to make so many things and convert into a business.
Wow this is so beautiful and so creative! I love it
What a neat necklace! So pretty. We have a Cricut and I’ve never made something like this.
What a great DIY project! I’ve attempted doing earrings with my Cameo, but that was a hugeeee fail lol. I’ve debated getting a Cricut just so I can do faux fabric projects.
Thanks for sharing this diy necklace. I need to check it out for my daughter. very nice.
Wow! This looks really awesome. It’s really beautiful and unique. I might think of using this necklace.
Hubby gave me a Cricut Maker for Christmas! I had plans of using it for paper projects exclusively until I saw this cute necklace. I’ll be making one for myself and my sister.
This is so pretty. My teenage girls would absolutely love to try their hand at this.
This is so fun! The color and the shell detail are great. It sounds like you can make so many things with Cricut. Excited to see what else you do!
This is so cute! My friend recently got a cricut and I think I should have her make this for me. I love the faux leather and think this would be something really cool to have.
I didn’t know a cricut could do this! I could see myself getting addicted to making faux leather jewelry for people.
Well, this looks like fun! I am with a group of women who are all learning to use the cricut. By the way, how do you say this? Like “cricket” or “cry cut?”
That sounds super fun! I always learn better in groups myself. I say it just like CRICKET… I believe that’s the correct pronunciation.
I do like the color you have chosen, it stands out. I also like the little shell you attached to the necklace, it makes it come alive.
I’ve been looking into a circuit cutter for so long. This has just fueled my obsession further! Thank you for sharing.
Wow, I love this. I have recently started looking into Cricut and can’t wait to get one of my own! Nothing else will get done, though, because I will be playing!
What an adorable creation using Cricut. I miss my Cricut machine, all these DIY Cricut tutorials are really making me want to get one again, whenever we can budget that in.
That necklace is so beautiful. I really love the color too. It’s one of my favorite colors. It turned out so nice.
I won’t lie! I had NEVER considered using Cricut to make jewelry *insert mind blown emoji here*
Oh my goodness that is absolutely so cute! Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us!
This is the cutest necklace, love it!!! And I love the fact that it is faux leather. Very pretty.
What a pretty necklace! I love the colors. Perfect to pass out for Valentine’s Day.
I love that you can make this out of a craft machine. The color is so pretty.
That is so cool! There is so much you can do with one of those machines. I have to look into getting one.
I am always amazed at all the things you can create witha Cricut machine. I loved that necklace and it is a great idea to get one for the family.
No way! i Had no idea you could make jewelry with a Cricut. How cool is this. Now i totally want one.