Today we are sharing this homemade and delicious Instant Pot Dog Food Recipe. It's a real winner and one I'm sure your dog will love.
Having a picky fur child has taught me that I have to be a little extra creative when it comes to meals. After wasting countless amounts of money on dog food that Chloe wouldn't touch, I realized the best solution for her, me, and my wallet was to make her food myself. Not only do I get to control the ingredients, but I can also make sure she's eating what she needs when she needs it. Her health is my main concern after all.
Making Instant Pot Dog Food For Your Pet
I've experimented with quite a few different homemade dog food recipes, some hits and lots of misses. The fiber filled dog food is a great standby when constipation is an issue. With most homemade dog food, Chloe digs around to find bits and pieces she likes more than others. I had gotten pretty used to that and when I watched her with this homemade dog food recipe I was surprised she was nitpicking at it. Instead, she devoured mouthful after mouthful without avoiding anything.
Benefits of Instant Pot Dog Food
This recipe is by far a dog favorite and it's packed with a lot of nutritionally beneficial ingredients. I made a huge batch in the 8-quart multi-cooker, left enough out for a week, and froze about 15 servings. For Chloe, ½ cup twice a day is just right (see nutritional info below). Of course, you'll want to discuss a dietary change with your veterinarian and assess your dog's nutritional needs.
Instant Pot Dog Food: The Recipe
If you don't have a multi-cooker or Instant Pot, you could make this recipe in a slow cooker or even on the stove. You'll just need to adjust cooking times (to be added later). Now I'm going to show you how to make this homemade dog food in the Instant Pot.
- 2 c. white rice
- 3 c. water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 c. water
- 3 lbs. ground meat (lean beef, chicken, turkey, venison, etc)
- 1 pound beef livers
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna, etc.)
- 12 oz. chopped kale
- 10 oz. butternut squash, frozen cubed
- 2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 12 oz. mixed vegetables, fresh or frozen
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- Soak the rice in water with apple cider vinegar overnight
- Drain the rice and set aside
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and add ground meat and liver. Break up the meats as they are browning. Saute for 3 minutes then cancel saute mode
- Add rice and water to the meat and stir, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pot. Add fish
- Add remaining ingredients (except coconut oil) in order, but don't stir
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure it is locked and the vent is set to seal
- Press Manual and set the time to 12 minutes
- Once the Instant Pot is done cooking, press cancel and do a quick pressure release
- Stir in the coconut oil and allow it to cool before feeding to your dog
- Freeze leftovers for up to two months, thawing in the refrigerator overnight
Be sure to check out our Oatmeal Banana Dog Treats Recipe. It's a real winner!