Summer is my favorite time of year to make Heart Healthy Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes. When you can go pick a fresh tomato off the vine. If you like a fresh tomato then you will love these Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes! A quick recipe that can be used as an appetizer, side dish or main meal.
How Can Heart Healthy Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes be used?
A huge part of being a caretaker is meal planning. You need foods that fit with your loved one’s dietary needs while still being desirable. When you’re working with a low salt, low sugar diet, that can be tough. Thankfully, these cheesy baked tomatoes were a hit with my grandmother and they fall within her dietary restrictions.
Tomatoes are known for having many health benefits. For one, they’re a key source of the antioxidant lycopene. Lycopene has linked with a reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. Tomatoes are also an excellent source of potassium, folate, and vitamins C and K. Another benefit from tomatoes is their anti-inflammatory properties.
What is used to make Heart Healthy Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes?
- Romano Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Provolone Cheese
- Olive Oil
It’s easy to see why I look for recipes that incorporate this incredible fruit into so many heart-healthy recipes!
You can serve this dish as a side dish or a main course. It’s a great brunch dish too! I’d love to know what you think of these cheesy baked tomatoes if you make them!
Try a few of our other healthy dishes HERE.
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced in half horizontally
- 4 tbsp. grated, low-fat Romano cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning OR 3-4 tsp. freshly chopped basil, oregano, and parsley
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 fresh, whole basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes, cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Mix the grated cheeses and seasonings together in a medium bowl. Top tomato halves with this mixture.
- Cover each tomato half with a slice of provolone cheese and top with a basil leaf.
- Drizzle oil over the cheese topped tomatoes and bake for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender and the cheese is golden brown.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 tomato half
Amount Per Serving Calories 173Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 27mgSodium 366mgCarbohydrates 4gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 2gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 10g