Cocoa Spiced Instant Pot Keto Pork Roast
A pork roast is something usually reserved for weekends or special occasions because it takes so long to do. Now with an Instant Pot, you can have your favorite Keto Pork Roast ready to go any weeknight!
It’s still an awesome recipe to serve up on holidays and family gatherings but try this recipe one weeknight and win your family over.
It’s low carb, perfectly keto, which means you can prepare it with a keto-friendly side for yourself and regular options for others in the family.
This pork roast calls for a pork shoulder which is also called pork butt or Boston butt. If you see those in the market as well, they will work great here too.
It’s spiced with cocoa powder for an exotic taste that’s perfect for a keto thanksgiving.
Serve this up with our keto coleslaw, or keto cauliflower casserole and you may not even have to serve carb-heavy sides!
Have leftovers with eggs and a slice of toasted keto 90-second mug bread for breakfast the next morning.
Instant Pot Keto Pork Roast
An exotic twist on the classic pork roast.
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 lbs pork shoulder roast (trimmed and cut into 6-8 pieces)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 large celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 1½ cup chicken broth (organic)
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Remove pork shoulder from refrigerator at least 30 minutes, but not more than 2 hours,
before cooking. Set aside.
- Prepare dry rub by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine and rub
the dry rub into all sides of each pork shoulder section, reserving one
tablespoon of the rub for later use. Set the seasoned pork and reserved dry rub
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add one tablespoon
olive oil once hot. Add seasoned pork and sear on each side, approximately 2-3
minutes per side. (Work in two batches, if necessary). Transfer pork to a plate
and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil, along with celery, carrots, and yellow onion.
Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to develop some color and
become fragrant, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add broth and stir to combine, gently scraping any brown bits off the
bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon in the process. Turn the unit off.
- Return pork shoulder to the Instant Pot®. Add bay leaves, rosemary, and
thyme. Sprinkle reserved tablespoon of dry rub on top and stir to combine. Add
lid and lock into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual”
setting to 50 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 20
minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure, if necessary.
- Remove lid and discard the bay leaves and woody stems from the rosemary
and thyme. Transfer the pork roast to a serving platter and cover to keep warm.
- With an immersion blender, blend the pan sauces until smooth. You can also transfer to a regular blender. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Serve pork roast immediately with choice of sides and topped with some of the warm sauce. Enjoy!
Try this keto pulled pork recipe, keto pork chops or this keto pork stir fry if you’re a big pork fan!