I vowed that in the new year I would use more of my kitchen gadgets. And here we are. I just whipped up a delicious batch of Keto sausage balls in the air fryer and they couldn't have been easier or more delish.
Normally when I make sausage balls I use Bisquick. Sadly Bisquick and so many other baking mixes aren't keto-approved. After a half dozen attempts I finally came up with a keto baking mix that makes a great sausage ball. Plain almond flour made them way too gritty and plain coconut flour basically disappeared altogether.
Make Ahead Keto Baking Mix
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm betting that this keto baking mix can be used for a lot of delicious recipes. Pancakes and waffles (with some tweaking) and of course biscuits and breading for more air-fried goodness. I've mixed up a big batch to make it easier to use in the future. I basically quadrupled the amounts used in the recipe below.
- 2 ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoon sweetener (I use Monk Fruit or Swerve)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
Sift all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix in the coconut oil and keep mixing until it is crumbly. Store in an airtight container.
Now, how about some quick and easy keto sausage balls in the air fryer? These are perfect for breakfast, brunch, and appetizers. Use a simple dipping sauce, spread on some jelly, or eat them as they are. You really can't go wrong here.
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup keto baking mix (see post)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Spray air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat to 370°F (optional).
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pinch off about ⅕ cup of the mixture and roll into a ball. Set on a plate and continue with remaining mixture.
- Place balls in the air fryer basket, keeping a little space between them. Cook at 370°F for 12 - 16 minutes, depending on the size of the balls. Check for doneness (160°F) at 12 minutes and continue cooking if necessary.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces for breakfast, brunch, or as an appetizer.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 325Total Fat 27.4gSaturated Fat 14.3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 51mgSodium 633mgCarbohydrates 7gNet Carbohydrates 4gFiber 2.5gSugar 1gProtein 13g
Want to Freeze Keto Sausage Balls? Yes, It's Possible!
Prepare the sausage balls as directed above. Allow them to cool then place them on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Place the sheet in the freezer for two hours. Transfer the sausage balls to a freezer-safe airtight container or ziplock bag. Freeze for up to four months.
To prepare keto sausage balls from frozen you can:
- reheat in the oven, preheated to 400, for 12 minutes
- reheat in the air fryer, preheated to 320, for 10 - 13 minutes