How to Do a Deep Pore Cleansing Facial at Home
If your skin is prone to blackheads, whiteheads and breakouts then a deep pore cleansing facial might be your answer. The least expensive way to get this type of facial is by giving yourself one in the comfort of your own home. It only takes about 10-15 minutes once or twice a week and could be just what you need for clearer skin that looks great under makeup or going barefaced.
Gather your favorite products from your at-home facial kit or grab the ones recommended below for flawless skin without having to go to the spa.
What is a Deep Pore Cleansing Facial?
A deep pore cleansing facial is a multi-layered process of cleansing your skin, first opening up your pores with steam so that all dirt and excess oil can be cleared.
It is ideal for normal to oily skin that gets clogged and congested with grease, bacteria and dead skin cells on a daily basis. It uses techniques that will clean the pores deep down in the dermis layer of your face where they can’t be reached by scrubs or brushes alone.
Any skin type can benefit from a deep pore cleansing facial, but people with normal to oily skin should do this on a regular basis.
The first step of a deep pore cleansing facial is to steam open the pores on your face using a towel or clean washrag saturated in hot water, as hot as you can manage. Once this is done, you are ready to begin removing as much dirt, oil, and dead skin cells as possible with an extraction process followed by calming, soothing products for your newly revealed clean face.
Here’s How to Do a Deep Pore Cleansing Facial at Home
1. Give yourself a warm, steamy shower before you perform the procedure so that pores in your face will be open and ready for deep cleaning. Another more preferred method is the one mentioned above of placing a towel that’s been saturated in very hot water over your face. Leave it on until the heat begins to cool. Steaming your face is also effective. You can do this by sitting with your face over a pan of very hot water and covering yourself with a towel so that the steam doesn’t evaporate too quickly.
If you’re feeling fancy and really want to pamper yourself, this facial steaming product will do the job right. Bonus, it comes with extraction tools so you can perform this whole procedure as if you were at a spa, right in the comfort of your own home.
At this point, once you’re pores are at their most open, you can do any extractions that are necessary. These extraction tools will help you to get everything out.
2. Use any exfoliating product you prefer just keep in mind that chemical exfoliants such as glycolic acid and BHA are recommended since they help remove dead skin cells from the surface of your face without damaging the healthy new ones below it as harsher products might do. (This is my favorite BHA product, it is amazing at smoothing skin!)
3. Use organic pure cotton pads saturated with product in circular motions around your face when applying your exfoliator and make sure not to scrub since that could irritate your skin and cause inflammation instead of healthy, glowing skin. Swiping gently is all that’s required for a deep pore cleansing facial treatment, especially if using a chemical exfoliant. Be sure to follow the instructions of the product carefully.
4. Follow up with a mask after exfoliating, especially if you have oily skin or small breakouts on your face. This popular mask will help to absorb excess oil and slow down the production of new oils that could cause problems in the future. These Korean masks are also a favorite for controlling oil and infusing moisture deep into the skin. Rinse with cold water after your mask time has elapsed to help close your pores.
5. Use a pore clarifying toner after your mask, especially if you have larger pores. This will help to tighten the skin and minimize your pores.
6. Apply a serum to your face to address any issues you might be facing, like a rough texture or dull skin. Your serum should also lock in moisture and help plump up fine lines or wrinkles. This Dermalogica Serum is anti-aging with Vitamin C and E. It can be pricey so this is a really good one as well if you’re on a budget.
7. Apply your favorite moisturizer (this is mine) and follow up with a good SPF if you’re doing this in the daytime with plans to be outside.
A deep pore facial is perfect for anyone who wants to have truly flawless skin, without having to go to the spa as often for extractions and expensive treatments.
Bonus tip: When applying makeup, use a spot concealer if you have blemishes or acne on your skin since these products can hide problems without clogging pores with their heavy texture. They’re used just around problem areas so you get better coverage than with only foundation while keeping your makeup looking flawless.