Keto soup recipes are few and far between because traditionally, soups are filled with starchy ingredients. This keto soup recipe for Sausage Soup with Poblano Peppers and Spinach is a great addition to your keto diet soup arsenal especially as we get closer to winter.
Chilly temperatures are approaching which usually means lots of soups and stews. This can be a problem for keto dieters. Traditionally, those on a ketogenic diet stay far away from most soups.
This is so because a true keto diet only allows 20 – 50 grams of carbohydrates daily and soups are usually loaded with starchy ingredients such as potatoes and beans.
Thankfully, a high fat diet means you can swap out the starches for delicious keto diet friendly ingredients like cheese and your favorite meats. The best keto soup is one that is quick and easy to make and tastes even better for leftovers.
This keto soup recipe will allow those on this low carb diet to enjoy a delicious, warming soup without all the carbs. It features your favorite premium pork sausage, loads of herbs and spices and Poblano peppers for a powerful flavor.
The Perfect Keto Soup Recipe for Meal Prep
Preparation is key for sustained weight loss on any diet and this is made easy with keto soup recipes that are tasty when eaten in the days after.
This delightful low carb keto friendly soup doesn’t need hours of simmering on the stove to taste delicious when prepared but will certainly come together even more to be richer and more flavorful the next day.
Check this post for more meal-prep ready keto soups and stews.
This quick keto soup is perfect as an appetizer or on its own with a side salad or my delicious keto mug bread recipe. The best part? This soup has only 2.6 grams of net carbs per serving.
Keto Sausage Soup with Poblano Peppers and Spinach
A delightfully flavorful keto friendly soup that is quick and easy to prepare and perfect for meal prep.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb pork sausage (Italian works)
- 1 medium red pepper (diced)
- 1/2 medium Poblano pepper (diced)
- 3 celery stalks (diced)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups organic sugar-free chicken stock
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup Cheddar Jack cheese (shredded)
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink inside, approximately 5 minutes. As the sausage cooks, break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the red and Poblano pepper, celery, basil, oregano, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies have softened, around 5-6 minutes.
- Add the sugar-free chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or just until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese and some additional diced Poblano pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
Carbs per serving:
Total carbs: 3.9 g
Fiber: 1.3 g
Net carbs: 2.6 g
Looking for a guide to sticking to the keto diet? Our Complete Guide to the Ketogenic Diet Book is a complete, all-in-one resource for starting and sticking to the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet plus meal plans, checklists and grocery lists to get you started.
Want the grocery list for free? Get it below.