This is a sponsored post on behalf of Harris Teeter. All opinions are my own.
Not too long ago I took a look at my grocery receipt and couldn’t believe I spent that much on that little. It made me think about all the money I spend on groceries and I blame not being prepared for most of that. I never made a list, just mental notes of things that we needed. I’d walk up and down the aisles, waiting for inspiration to strike; waiting for a meal idea so I knew what ingredients to get. Needless to say, I rarely had all the ingredients for anything on hand. Then, like a bolt of lightning, it hit me. I needed to start a weekly meal plan to keep my grocery budget and pantry in check.
What is a Meal Plan and Why You Need One
A meal plan is basically a menu – set meals for set days; remember your school days? By having a set menu you can get all the ingredients in one shopping trip and you can even base it around sales at your preferred grocery store to stretch your budget even further. It also helps when you can’t decide what you want to eat. The beauty of a weekly meal plan is that you can rearrange the meals and days to fit your cravings, you’ll have the ingredients on hand regardless of what day you use them.
This weekly meal plan is based on prices and deals at Harris Teeter – their private label products are affordable and top quality, which makes Harris Teeter the perfect place to shop. Tip: You save even more when you shop the square. Because I like a challenge, this 5-day dinner plan feeds 4 and came in around $44. That’s right, it averages out to less than $10 per meal! Don’t think it’s possible? Check it out.
Meal #1: Chicken Parmesan
- Harris Teeter Pasta Sauce – $1.99
- Highland Crest Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – $2.59
- Harris Teeter Chicken Breasts – Tenderloins – $2.99
- Harris Teeter Cut Spaghetti – $0.99
Tip: Use the carrots & lettuce & mushrooms to make a quick house salad as a side
Meal Total: $9
Meal #2: Beef Stew
- HT Reserve Angus Beef Angus Stew Meat – $5.99
- Fresh White Potatoes – $1.29
- Harris Teeter Carrots – $0.79
- Fresh Yellow Onions – $0.50
Meal Total: $9
Meal #3: Sausage Frittata
- Harris Teeter Eggs 1/2 dozen – $.79
- Highland Crest Sharp Cheddar Cheese – $1.89
- Harris Teeter Ground Sweet Italian Sausage – $4.99
- HT Farmers Market Sliced White Mushrooms – $1.99
Meal Total: $10
Meal #4: Tacos
- Harris Teeter Taco Dinner Kit – $2.99
- HT Rancher Lean Premium Ground Beef – $3.99
- Fresh Iceberg Lettuce – $0.99
Meal Total: $8
Meal #5: Orange Teriyaki Chicken & Broccoli
- HT Traders Orange Teriyaki Sauce – $2.49
- Harris Teeter Broccoli Florets – $1.69
- Harris Teeter Chicken Breasts – Tenderloins $2.99
- Harris Teeter Rice – $0.89
Meal Total: $8
One thing these meals all have in common is that they are easy to prepare. That makes them perfect for busy moms and workaholics alike. Harris Teeter always has great sales so expect to save even more on the ingredients. It’s also nice to be able to give back with the Together in Education program. When you buy Harris Teeter private label items, your local school of choice can earn money. Another great thing is that there will probably be leftovers meaning you can squeeze more meals out if necessary. My favorite of the 5 meals has to be the Orange Teriyaki Chicken & Broccoli. I’m always in the mood for Chinese food, and this is an easy Americanized version. Here’s how I make it.
- 12 oz Orange Teriyaki Sauc
- 2 cups diced chicken breast
- 12 oz chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- White rice, prepared
- Marinate the chicken breast in the Orange Teriyaki sauce for 3 hours, or overnight for a more pronounced flavor.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a dutch oven or wok over medium-high heat. Cook chicken fully.
- Add broccoli and cook until tender, stirring often.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Serve over white rice.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 40mgSodium 515mgCarbohydrates 21gNet Carbohydrates 18gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 18g