You guys, I'm so excited to share my first handmade jewelry craft. I wanted something that was quick and easy but didn't look quick and easy. I'm still incredibly inspired by Valentine's Day so I decided to go with this XoXo faux leather necklace. It took less than 2 minutes to cut with the Cricut Maker and less than 15 minutes to assemble the entire thing. I think it turned out great, how about you?
How to Cut Cricut Faux Leather
Cricut Faux Leather is easy to cut with the Cricut Maker. You don't even need to switch the blades if you're already using the Premium Fine-Point Blade. With genuine leather, you need to use the Deep-Point Blade which is just one of the reasons prefer faux leather. Another reason? Cricut Faux Leather is incredibly affordable meaning you can do even more Cricut DIY projects!
To cut Cricut Faux Leather with the Maker you need to place the faux leather on the standard grip mat, shiny side down and turn mirror on.
Making the Cricut DIY Faux Leather XOXO Necklace
With just a few supplies and steps, you can easily make this DIY Cricut Faux Leather necklace. It will be a cute handmade Valentine's Day gift for that special someone or keep it for yourself. I've made several so far and am enjoying adoring them with different charms and sharing with friends and family.
I think my favorite charms have to be the tiny seashells. Coming from a coastal area, seashells and anything marine related is popular. What kinds of charms do you prefer for DIY jewelry?
- 1 sheet faux leather (I used peacock)
- Standard Grip mat (the green one)
- 1 necklace (or chain to make a necklace)
- 5 jump rings (or 4 jump rings and 1 head pin)
- 1 charm
- Cricut Maker
- Hot glue gun + glue sticks (optional)
- Jump ring opener
- Open the Design Space file (click here) and click Make It (or customize to resize). By default, two sets of XOXO will cut. This is meant for adding thickness to the necklace and the pieces will be glued together (they're mirrored so they align perfectly). If you only want the thin necklace then you can click the eyeball to the right of the reversed image to hide it.
- Place the faux leather on the cutting mat, color or shiny side down. Follow the on-screen directions to cut the design.
- Carefully remove the cut pieces from the mat. If you're using both groups this is where you'll glue them together. Using a hot glue gun, add small dots of glue around the back of one of the groups. Use tweezers to lay the other group on top, color side UP (both outer sides should have color). Allow the glue to dry and continue to the next step.
- Use an awl to punch holes for the jump rings as shown in the image below. Add another jump ring (not pictured) either to the top right of the first O or to the second line of the second X.
- Connect the jump rings to the necklace chain and use the pliers to close them.
- Using a larger jump ring or a head pin (depending on the type of charm you're using), add a charm to the bottom of the necklace, location doesn't matter. This is optional, but it adds some weight to help the XOXO lay flat, and it looks cute too!