It's hard to believe that I've had my Air Fryer for almost two years now and haven't used it for much other than frozen fries. Normally, when I get a new gadget, I experiment right away (like with my Instant Pot). For some reason, airy frying intimidated me so much that I stuck with only making things that came in the freezer section and had clear air fryer instructions. That is until earlier this week when I decided to make this Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan.
I LOVE chicken parm but it's a lot of work to bread it, fry it, transfer it to the oven, and still prepare the pasta. I was ready for something easier. I thought my first attempt at air fryer chicken parmesan would be a disaster, but it was anything but. In just 12 minutes I had the perfect meal with almost no cleanup.
Make Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Recipe Easily!
I used a jar of my own premade sauce, but you can definitely use any sauce you want for this recipe. The only thing you can't do in the air fryer (that I know if) is make the pasta. Of course, you don't have to serve chicken parmesan with noodles, but I do. I wish that I had taken more photos but I honestly wasn't expecting the first recipe attempt to work. But having tasted it, I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe. The chicken is juicy, the breading is crispy, and the entire chicken parmesan dish is perfection.
I have a 6-quart air fryer so I was able to easily cook two breasts at a time. If your air-fryer won't hold both without them touching, then you'll need to do batches. Otherwise, you could be left with a mushy breading on your chicken parmesan, and that just won't do! Don't worry, they don't take long at all to cook.
- 2 - 4 -6 oz. chicken breasts
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ c. of your favorite pasta sauce + more for pasta (optional)
- ½ c. mozzarella cheese
- Preheat Air Fryer to 360F for three minutes.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper and pound to around ½ inch thickness.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Panko, seasonings, and Parmesan cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg.
- Dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture, flipping to make sure both sides are covered.
- Drag each chicken breasts through the bread crumb + cheese mixture, pressing to make sure each side is coated.
- Spray your air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and place each chicken breast in the basket. Be sure they are not touching. Cook for 6 minutes at 360F.
- Carefully open the basket and flip each breast over. Top each chicken breast with ¼ cup of your preferred sauce and ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the basket and set it on a plate. Allow the chicken to rest for 2 minutes before serving with your favorite pasta, garlic bread, salad, and/or any other fixings.